Thursday, March 13, 2008

New Technology to Revolutionize the Current Conception of the Computer

Recently, the NY Times featured an article about the newest avenue of computer technology: screens activated by sound and voice. Citing the wii and the iPhone as the first taste of what is to come.

Personally, and I am a technology traditionalist, I am completely comfortable with my mouse and my clicking finger manipulating my work.

Additionally, I can only imagine how buggy the technology will be in the first few years.

Any impact on higher education, while it would not occur for awhile, would depend on the . What would the Swem library be like if everyone was dictating their 15 page research paper to their school computers instead of typing. Instead of the pseudo-soothing sounds of keys typing, the sound of stressed- out student voices would be deafening.

This technology is very interesting an innovative, but it does not have any practical purposes yet. All they have developed presently is the manipulation of images with a touch screen. I believe, however, that any advancement is advantageous. However, it does not seem to be marketable anytime soon.

No comments: