Thursday, April 10, 2008

Bigotry on W&M Campus

This Tuesday, Serge Trifkovic gave an "Anti-Islam" on behalf of a student organization on campus.

Here is a quote a video connected to Trifkovic's talks:
"Islam wants to rule, submit, and seeks to destroy our Western civilization.
In 1945, Nazism was defeated in Europe.
in 1989, Communism was defeated in Europe.
Now the Islamic ideology has to be defeated.
Stop Islamisation.
Defend our Freedom."

I am a extreme proponent of free speech, but the fact that William and Mary Campus is hosting an event that is against an entire religion makes me feel dirty all over. I am pretty sure that "serge" knows less about Islam than my great aunt mabel...For all intensive purposes, these "Students for Freedom" are hosting a "Hate Workers Art Show." We have a significant Muslim population at this school ad an even larger group of students who are pursuing middle eastern studies. In what way can an event enrich our campus if it is directly targeted against one of our demographics...What if we had an Anti-White people speaker, we sure have done and still lots of bad stuff...I am a proponent of free speech, but speech that is hateful, bigoted, and erroneous is no kind of speech for me and no kind of speech for william and mary. For a better understanding of the middle east, might I suggest Palestine Awareness week.

No comments: