Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Google's New Venture

Google plans to store the medical records of the patients in a Cleveland Clinic in a trial of its new program:to create an electronic health profile for everyone in the healthcare system.

I myself would not have volunteered my records for the Cleveland hospital's project. I refuse to give up my right to privacy and open myself up to the possibility of investigation by the governement and I refuse to allow advertisers to gain access to my personal information in a trial venture.

Yes, transferring medical records can be a pain, but unless studies show that such a system can save lives in times of emergency, I put no credence in it.

Doctor-patient confidentiality has been a sacred and honored institution which has preserved the integrity of the healthcare system and the medical profession for years. To open up such a relationship to the uncertainties of the internet creates the opportunity for corruption and abuse.

How much more will people loathe going to the doctor's when their conditions will be coded online?

Yes, they will be protected with passwords, but all internet accounts are protected by passwords, and such accounts placed in the hands of Google, who is already accumulating large amounts of powerful information, and such accounts are subject to breach.

The beauty and the terror of the internet is that it is equal opportunity. People have the capability to accomplish many forms of espionage on the internet, and only after a huge payoff can be proved to justify this move, and after all other technological options have been explored and rules out, would I support such broadcasting of medical records.

No comments: